Role of an Attorney When Pursuing Compensation After a Wrongful Death

Wrongful Death Damages Awarded In Mississippi

Hiring an experienced Mississippi attorney to represent your family in a wrongful death case is of utmost importance. These types of untimely deaths often occur in auto, motorcycle and trucking accidents but can also happen in other areas such as defective products and workplaces. An experienced attorney can review the evidence and determine whether there is sufficient proof that a wrongful act resulted in the death of your loved one. The lawyer can also ensure that all legal paperwork related to the case is filed properly and deadlines are met. 

Additionally, an attorney who handles cases involving death caused by another person or entity can negotiate with insurance companies and other responsible parties on behalf of your family to secure maximum compensation.

Statute of Limitations in Mississippi Personal Injury Cases

Under Mississippi law, an action for “wrongful death” must be brought within three years of the date of death. This means that a lawsuit must be filed within three years, or it may be dismissed by the court. It is extremely important to contact an experienced attorney who handles these cases as soon as possible following the death of your loved one to ensure that all applicable deadlines are met and your case is handled properly.

Wrongful Death Damages Awarded In Mississippi

Under Mississippi law, damages awarded for wrongful death claims can include compensation for funeral expenses, medical expenses incurred prior to the death, wages lost due to the deceased’s inability to work prior to their passing, loss of companionship and guidance, loss of future inheritance, pain and suffering endured by the deceased prior to their passing and emotional anguish suffered by surviving family members due to the death.

Comparative Negligence In Mississippi Personal Injury Cases

Under Mississippi law, defendants in cases involving a death caused by another’s negligence can raise the defense of comparative negligence as a way to reduce their liability for damages. Comparative negligence is a legal doctrine that states that if both parties are at least partially responsible for an accident, any damage award should be reduced by the plaintiff’s percentage of fault. For example, if a jury finds that your loved one was 20% at fault for their own death, and the other party is 80% liable, then any damages awarded will be reduced by 20%. It is important to have an experienced attorney on your side who can argue against this defense and ensure you receive maximum compensation for your losses.

If your loved one died because of another’s negligence or wrongdoing, you must contact an experienced attorney as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected. An experienced attorney can review the facts of your case and help you understand your legal options for pursuing compensation.

The Diaz Law Firm: Wrongful Death Attorneys

The Diaz Law Firm can assist you if you have lost a loved one in an accident due to negligence or an intentional. Contact us at (601) 607-3456 or (800) 459-2222 immediately to schedule a free consultation. If you would like to reach us online, you may also do so.