Do You Know What To Do If You’ve Been Hit By An 18-Wheeler?
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reports that 4,119 people died in large truck crashes in 2019. Sixteen percent of these deaths were truck occupants, 15 percent were pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists, and 67 percent were passenger vehicle occupants. Additionally, they have found that 11 percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2019 occurred in large 18-wheeler truck crashes.
Though truck accidents are far less common than car accidents, they are responsible for a greater number of serious injuries and fatalities on the road.
Unfortunately, all studies point to one fatal result: collisions with large trucks are on the rise. The World Health Organization estimates that accidents on the road will become the fifth largest cause of death in the U.S. by 2030.
Contrary to what you might think, drugs and alcohol abuse are not among the top causes of these crashes. The top causes for large truck accidents are mechanical defects (most often found in tires), new and unfamiliar tour routes, and driver fatigue. Other causes include distracted driving, poor road conditions, speeding, and reckless behaviors such as tailgating.
What should you do if you or someone you love has been involved in an 18-wheeler crash:
- Call 911 and check for injuries
- Limit your discussion to only the police and only state the facts
- Take photographs of your vehicle, the 18-wheeler, and surrounding areas
- Do not give a statement or talk with the other party’s insurance company
- Report the crash to your insurance company
- Obtain a copy of the crash report
- Call our office so that we can help you navigate through your case
- MOST IMPORTANT – Focus on your health
If you, or a loved one, have been injured in an accident, anywhere in Mississippi, please contact the Diaz Law Firm and speak to an attorney today. You can reach us online or by calling our toll-free number at 800-459-2222.
Print it, fold it, and keep it in your vehicle. In the event of an accident, you will have a necessary tool on hand to help you take the next steps.