A Mississippi boating accident can result in a number of different types of injuries. When negligence by another boater or entity was the cause, the injured party or their family members could potentially be entitled to various forms of compensation. A Mississippi lawyer who handles maritime injuries may be able to help you recover compensation to recover your financial losses and for your pain and suffering.
What Types of Boating Accident Injuries Are the Most Common?
Boating injuries can be serious or even life-changing. Some common types of boating accident injuries that occur due to someone else’s negligence include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: In boat collisions, there are two ways in which brain injuries commonly occur. When the boat sinks or someone goes overboard, they can be deprived of oxygen long enough to cause trauma to the brain. Another way is from carbon monoxide exposure from the engine. Crashing into an obstruction, such as another boat, can throw someone against an object, resulting in a head injury.
- Serious lacerations: Being thrown across a boat because of a collision can often result in severe lacerations. In addition, propeller blades can cause severe injuries, amputations or fatalities.
- Broken bones: Severe compound fractures can occur on a boat as the result of an accident.
- Trauma to the spinal cord: Accidents involving other boats or the dock can lead to serious spinal injuries, including a ruptured disc, herniation and fractures.
- Drowning and near drowning: Drowning occurs due to asphyxiation from being underwater. Those who experience near drowning are not out of danger since it can affect heart rhythm and need to be taken to a hospital for evaluation.
- Electrocutions: Electrical systems and water are a dangerous combination. Standing water near electrical systems, maintenance problems and other issues can cause burns or death in the right circumstances.
Recoverable Damages After an Accident on a Boat
When you suffer an injury in a maritime accident that involves another boater, rental company or others, you have the right to recover compensation. Damages can include:
- Compensation to recover the cost of the physical injuries sustained, such as hospitalization, surgery, physicians’ bills and rehabilitation
- Property damage claims for damaged boats, other property, or lost items
- Emotional distress claims for psychological trauma resulting from the accident, such as post-traumatic stress disorder
- Loss of consortium and affection if a loved one has been injured
- Lost wages if the injured party is unable to work, which can include compensation for their benefits, such as insurance
- Loss of future earning potential due to physical and/or emotional injuries sustained in the incident
Legal Advice for Boating Accidents
The process of obtaining compensation after such an accident injury may be challenging without legal advice because liability may not only lie with an individual. An experienced attorney should be consulted immediately after suffering injuries while recreational boating to discuss their legal options. Having an attorney on your side can help you understand your rights and develop a strategy to recover all of your financial losses.
Diaz Law Firm: Boating Accident Attorneys
The Diaz Law Firm‘s goal is to work hard to help you recover the compensation you deserve after a maritime accident. Our office can be reached at (601) 607-3456 or (800) 459-2222 to schedule a free consultation. We also provide a way for you to reach out to us online through our website.